[c-nsp] Customer Router Benefits on MPLS network

Shawn Mesiatowsky smesiatowsky at Sanjel.com
Wed Apr 25 20:08:56 EDT 2007

The place I work for is currently moving their network to an MPLS network. I am trying to convince the executives we need customer routers at the remote sites behind the Service Providers Customer edge router. The Service provider will not allow us to use our own equipment for the customer edge router. Each site will only have 1 subnet to start, but may expand to three or four subnets (to allow for subnets to be created for things such as an unsecured subnet that only has access to the internet, but not our internal network, etc.), but the extra subnets are currently not needed. I also plan to connect a modem to allow for remote administration of the site if for some reason it goes down (including access to a Power bar with remote cababilites to allow power cycling any remote equipment if needed). Now those are the reasons I am looking to convince management to go with our own customer routers on premise, but is there any additional reasons? I appreciate any help.