[c-nsp] Customer Router Benefits on MPLS network

Patrick Greene patrickg at layer8llc.com
Wed Apr 25 22:12:15 EDT 2007

If all you want to be able to do is create more subnets, VLAN'S, ACL, etc.
then just place a Layer-3 capable switch out there.  You will need a switch
anyway.  Why incur the cost of a switch and a router when the switch will
support all your needs.

The out-of-band management is nice and sometimes necessary, however if the
MPLS carrier is managing the router I don't see much need to place a modem
at a location to manage a single switch.  Save the money of the modem and
recurring costs of the phone line and just get a better SmartNet package on
the switch.  I would also be more inclined to spend the money on a UPS since
bad power can create more problems than new equipment failing.

Keep things simple and fulfill the business needs.

Patrick