[c-nsp] RE. Cisco 3750 Rate limit

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Tue Dec 18 05:10:38 EST 2007

On 18/12/2007, at 6:22 PM, Michalis Palis wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I configure a policer to limeit traffic to 50Mbs as below but as
> soon as I
> apply the service policy, their is a traffic drop on the interface.
> Any
> suggestion?
>
> Here is my config
>

> mls qos
> !
> class-map match-any test-policing
>  match access-group 100
> !
> !
> policy-map test-policing
>  class test-policing
>    police 50000000 20000 exceed-action drop
>
> interface GigabitEthernet1/0/12
> switchport access vlan 261
> switchport mode access
> service-policy input test-policing
>
> access-list 100 permit ip any any
>
> Any suggestion??
> Thanks

Perhaps try increasing the burst size.

Should I understand this topic correctly:

Your current burst size is set to 20kbytes which means that at most,
traffic will increase by 20kbytes each second. This means it will take
roughly 5 or so minutes to reach the full 50mbit rate-limit.

Try setting it to something like 512000 (512kbyte), this will allow
traffic levels to reach 50mbit relatively quickly (roughly 12 seconds).

Tune as required.