[c-nsp] OT: How do you fight spam in your enterprise? I need help

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Thu Dec 20 18:25:19 EST 2007

On 21/12/2007, at 6:26 AM, Frank Bulk wrote:

> Tom:
>
> So you don't think that an ISP-branded e-mail creates stickiness?
> I'll have
> you man our helpdesk after we send a letter to our new subscribers
> from
> acquisitions that they need to change their e-mail address.  It's
> not 100%,
> but it's a significant and measureable quantity.
>
> We encourage our customers to use our e-mail account, but because we
> believe
> it reduces churn.
>
> Frank

The first ISP I worked at acquired a number of small ISPs. Rather than
make everyone change their email address we chose to continue their
existing email address. We lost very few customers, and those that
stayed were pleased that they were allowed to keep their old email
address.

Likewise we encourage everyone to use their ISP provided mailbox. But
I am not of the impression that the free mailbox is what causes people
to stick around, particularly with the ISP that I work for now.

A free mailbox just doesnt seem to be a breakthrough product that
makes or breaks an ISP. Its just something that they all do as a
standard provision of Internet access.

This is just my observation during my time in the ISP industry in
Australia.