[c-nsp] electric consumption

Ed Butler ed.butler at rapidswitch.com
Thu Feb 1 09:43:56 EST 2007

The "sh power" doesn't tell you how much power the box is using on a
6500, it just says how much power is allocated. This may be the same for
other models, I'm sure others on here will be able to verify.

As an example:
#sh power
system power redundancy mode = redundant
system power total =     2331.00 Watts (55.50 Amps @ 42V)
system power used =      1575.84 Watts (37.52 Amps @ 42V)
system power available =  755.16 Watts (17.98 Amps @ 42V)

This would indicate @ 230V the above system should use at least 6.8
amps, but it doesn't get close to that. ("At least" because of power
factor.)

I would assume the linecards have some kind of idle/sleep instruction to
reduce power usage, and the  power-allocated is a worst case scenario of
the linecard running flat out.

Regards,

Ed Butler
RapidSwitch Ltd
DDI: 020 7106 0731

RapidSwitch Ltd, Sovereign House, 227 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SD

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient. RapidSwitch Ltd is registered in England & Wales Company No.
04535693, Registered Address: 3 Beacon Mews, South Road, Weybridge, KT13
9DZ. VAT Registration No. GB 794 3811 96. All prices exclude VAT unless
otherwise stated. Quotations valid for seven days.