[c-nsp] TE config help

mb2 at os.datafx.com.au mb2 at os.datafx.com.au
Mon Feb 12 16:33:27 EST 2007

Quoting Pete Templin <petelists at templin.org>:

>>> tunn mpls traf band 4000
>>
>> Ok - Little confused here....why wouldn't this be:
>>
>> tunn mpls traf band 12000?
>>
>> Why would I have 3 tunnels @ 4Mb each?
>
> Each tunnel has ONE label associated with it.  A label can only have
> one outgoing interface.  If you want to achieve 12Mbps during all-up
> traffic, you'll need to send traffic over both links, so you'll need
> at least two labels, and therefore two tunnels.  I'm recommending 3
> tunnels so you'll have easier distribution of traffic.

Understood - Thanks very much for the explantation!

>>> How many tunnels are you going to have?  You can do three tunnels,
>>> each at 4Mbps bandwidth.  You can do two or three or more with
>>> auto-bw.
>>
>> What determines/dictates which method should be used?
>
> Your application is very simple, so static settings with three
> tunnels should be fine.  If your application grows, auto-bw may be
> the answer for you.

Again - Thanks very much for the help.

My next question would be implementation steps - As this is a live
environment, what would be the sequential steps to avoid downtime?

i.e.
Is enabling "mpls traffic-eng tunnels" on the physical Interfaces the
last thing I should be doing on each 7200?