[c-nsp] Backup Interface & Standby-IPs

Garry Glendown gkg at gmx.de
Fri Feb 16 14:04:10 EST 2007

Chris Woodfield wrote:
> Help me understand - are you configuring the cores' standby IP as you're
> router's native IP, or as another standby? The former won't work, as you
> will have an IP collision. You'd need to configure it as a standby IP in
> the same HSRP/VRRP group ID as the other two routers.
>
> If you don't mind sharing your design goal here, better advice may be
> forthcoming...

- physical IPs are .2/.7/.41 in the same /24 for the three routers in
question
- standby IP is .1  out of the same /24

Anyway, I have solved this - kind of ... after removing the IP of the
backup interface, I was able to add the standby IP on the primary
interface  - after that, the router accepted the original IP on the
backup interface without any further complaints ... standby is also
working fine ... seems to me a problem in the configuration functions of
the IOS ...

-gg