[c-nsp] OT: SORBS Blacklist

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Sun Jan 21 04:34:31 EST 2007

Hi Adam,

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 04:15:03PM -0500, Adam Piasecki wrote:
>  One of our users got a IP Blacklisted on SORBS. We have corrected the
> problem, and I just found out SORBS is now charging $50.00 to remove the
> blacklist. This is clear cut blackmail if you ask me. I understand that the
> lists help the internet, but charging you money after ONE time of being
> blacklisted is a little crazy to me.
>
> Do any of you guys use this list for Blocking IP's?

We personally do not and I *strongly* recommend against anyone who
is thinking about it.

Ignoring the $50 fee, but when sorbs decides to list your
IP space as 'dynamic' because it doesnt have the word 'static' in its
reverse DNS, it is *extremely* difficult to get removed.

I have had this happen 3 times, the first two times it was never
resolved, after repeated emails over 2-3 months, the last time it was
actually resolved but only after waiting 4 weeks.

4 weeks waiting time is a completely unacceptable period IMHO.

I like spamcop, etc, that have automated removal utilities, they are far
better and still highly effective (we drop a *HELL* of a lot of mail
from spamcop).

Cheers,
Trent