[c-nsp] pppoe-client on subinterface trunk to a switch

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Mon Mar 19 07:10:19 EST 2007

Dennis wrote:

> I currently have a TAC case open on this now and I'm told you must use the
> Enterprise plus feature set and bba-groups instead of vpdn groups. I just
> learned this last Friday I have not yet tried it... hopefully I will in the
> next day or two... let me know if you try it and how it goes...

This is fairly interesting -- I never thought bba-groups could be used
as a pppoe client.

> Dennis
>

> bba-group pppoe PPPOE
> virtual-template 1
> !
> interface FastEthernet1/1.201
> description connected to Cat Switch
> encapsulation dot1Q 201
> pppoe enable group PPPOE
> !
> interface FastEthernet1/1.202
> description connected to Cat Switch
> encapsulation dot1Q 202
> pppoe enable group PPPOE
> !
> interface Virtual-Template1
> ip address negotiated
> no logging event link-status
> ppp chap hostname pppoeuser
> ppp chap password 0 cisco
> !
> end
>
> On 3/18/07, Dan <dan at technc.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have four adsl connections to my isp and I would like to be able to
>>replace my current cisco 2621 router and my four linux dsl routers with
>>one cisco 2801 router.  I would like to create a trunk between the
>>router and a 3560 switch

This topic came up before at least twice.

http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2005-January/016094.html

It was ignored at least once.

I agree with you, no pppoe-client support on subinterfaces is a gross
omission, however its a fairly common one -- juniper ssg netscreen share
it for example IIRC.

As you say, linux has no such limitation.