[c-nsp] CHDS3/CDOC3

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed May 2 10:05:53 EDT 2007

Peder @ NetworkOblivion wrote:
> What are most people using for T1 termination via channelized DS3/OC3
> going forward?  We are still using some 7500's with CHDS3 cards and I am
> about ready to dump them for something newer.  My big requirement is QoS
> as we are passing VoIP over these circuits, but that is about my only
> requirement (of course cost is always an issue too).  I know there are a
> ton of options, 7200's with PA's, 12000's, 6500's with SPA's, etc, but I
> don't really know what would be the best bet going forward and I am
> wondering what other people are using in production networks.  Thanks.

We have 7507s, and our plan going forward is:

For fractional T1s, 7206s (4xChT3 per box).
For full T1s, 7206s, until a market has 8xChT3s
For full T1s, 12000 with the E3 ChOC12, after a market has 8xChT3s

The 7206 platform seems to be an incredibly stable platform because of
its non-distributed nature.  We wouldn't be running full BGP (or even
partial) on them.  Yes, we'll be well over the official "bandwidth
points" of the NPE-225, but we barely push 1% of its rated PPS capacity.

pt