[c-nsp] NetFlow for Bandwidth Billing

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Wed May 2 15:39:12 EDT 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 12:25 PM, TCIS List Acct wrote:

> In the past, we've only been able to do NetFlow on the ingress
> side.  It appears
> that in newer IOS releases we can now monitor both ingress and
> egress.  This, in
> theory, should go a long way towards eliminating the duplication
> issue if we
> only monitor on our transit links in the core routers.

What most folks do for visualization/NOC use is monitor ingress on
all relevant interfaces on all relevant routers, and then have
various graphs/tables with various views which end up providing the
equivalent of deduplication.  It's certainly important for a billing
application or a security application to perform deduplication; I'd
be shocked to learn of one which doesn't, heh.

One of the benefits of NetFlow is instant traceback - so, I'd urge
you to consider something like the above at your edges, rather than
in your core.  NDE is really an edge technology, unless you're
recording flows for later forensics/troubleshooting/audit use.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

You may not be interested in strategy, but strategy is interested in
you.

                       -- Leon Trotsky