[c-nsp] OSPF Interface problem

Roman Bestuzhev vhelgi at gmail.com
Mon May 28 09:48:45 EDT 2007

Hi,

If you wish to completely disable ospf on some interfaces you need to exlude
these interfaces by using more restrictive network command.
passive-interface command prevents adjucency and routing updates.

Here is what cisco says:

passive-interface

To disable sending routing updates on an interface, use the
passive-interface router configuration command. To re-enable the sending of
routing updates, use the no form of this command. The syntax for this
command (and the no form) is as follows:

   *passive-interface* type number
   *no passive-interface* *type number*

*Syntax Description:*
*type*. Interface type. *number*. Interface number.

*Default:* Routing updates are sent on the interface.

*Command Mode:* Router configuration.

Usage Guidelines: If you disable the sending of routing updates on an
interface, the particular subnet will continue to be advertised to other
interfaces, and updates from other routers on that interface continue to be
received and processed.

For OSPF, OSPF routing information is neither sent nor received through the
specified router interface. The specified interface address appears as a
stub network in the OSPF domain.

2007/5/28, Peter Nyamukusa <petern at africaonline.co.sz>:

> Hi Guys,
>

> I am running ospf as my IGP and on my access server which is running IOS
> image c5300-jk9s-mz.123-12a.bin. I have disabled all interfaces from
> participating in ospf routing except my fast Ethernet yet when I check the
> ospf process it show that all the interfaces are participating in ospf
> this
> access server is in a stub area see below
>

> router ospf 1
>
> <ommited>
>
> passive-interface default
>
> no passive-interface FastEthernet0
>

> sh ip ospf
>
> <ommitted>
>
>     Area 2
>
>         Number of interfaces in this area is 124 (1 loopback)
>
>         Area has message digest authentication
>
>         SPF algorithm last executed 00:08:12.788 ago
>
>         SPF algorithm executed 2 times
>

> Regards,
>
> Peter

  Бестужев Роман