[c-nsp] Splitting VTP domain without a meltdown

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Oct 8 12:53:59 EDT 2007

> DTP which negotiates your trunks will only negotiate the trunk between
> switches in the same VTP domain.  The only way around this that I know
> of is to hard code your trunks using the following:
>
> switchport mode trunk
> switchport nonegotiate

Wow, you mean people actually *use* DTP? We've had those two lines (and
some others, e.g. switchport trunk allowed vlan ...) as our standard
config for many years. We absolutely *don't* want switches to negotiate
whether a link should be trunk or not. Explicit control (no VTP, no DTP)
is the only game in town here.

Been burned too many times on VTP to trust it...

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no