[c-nsp] Changing vlan numbers

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Oct 12 11:01:18 EDT 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Jeff Crowe wrote:

> I have a catalyst 5500 with a trunk port setup doing dot1q and 3 vlans
> coming into that port (eg: 3,95,199). I need to take one of those vlans that
> comes in (199) and change it to be vlan 48. Vlan 48 exists on the switch
> already.
>
> Is there a way to re-write the vlan information so I can change vlan 199 in
> this example to vlan 48 without having to create two access ports and put a
> cross over between them?

Do you control both ends?  If the 199 side thinks 199 is the native vlan,
and the side where you want it changed thinks 48 is the native vlan, it'll
just happen.

i.e. A will send vlan199 traffic untagged.  B will receive the untagged
frames and assume they're for vlan 48.  I've never done this, but I've
seen networks where it's happened.