[c-nsp] Q: ethernet keepalives

Fredrik Jacobsson cisco-nsp at jacobsson.nu
Wed Oct 31 08:01:27 EDT 2007

Hi!
Notes on bugid CSCea46385 states:
"Keepalives are sent on ALL interfaces by default in 12.1EA based software.
Starting in 12.2SE based releases, keepalives are NO longer sent by
default on fiber and uplink interfaces."

So, how do the switch define an uplink interface?

I have a scenario that connects a vlan through an edge switch like this:
core1 - switch1 - switch2 - core2
the core switches also has a port-channel between them where the vlan
is tagged over.
so we have a stp block at switch2 towards core2.

we're running rapid stp. (so no uplinkfast feature in consideration
when setting up the system, that's why they dont have individual
trunks to both core boxes each)

12.2SE makes (default) the uplink ports on switch 1 and switch2 not to
use keepalives. (meaning the links towards the "core" boxes)

But keepalives are enabled (still...default) on the trunk between
switch1 and switch2

So, two questions:
1. why are keepalives enabled there?
2. should they be enabled or disabled?