[c-nsp] Question about the CCNA and CCNP certification

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Sep 7 17:35:10 EDT 2007

Bernd Ueberbacher wrote:

> A guy I know from a different company also wants to become a CCNP, but
> today he told me, that he is heading directly towards the CCNP without
> passing the CCNA. I said that this is not possible, but he was
> completely sure about it and had an interesting explanation... He says
> that the CCNA is a requirement for the CCNP if you want to attend a CCNP
> class room course. This prevents that you have absolutely no clue about
> networking and slow down the whole group/class. If you don't attend the
> class, but do it by self studying and just take the exam with Pearson
> Vue etc, you don't need a valid CCNA certification. This is because it's
> your money/problem if you fail but you are not annoying anybody else
> with your incompetence and if you have no clue you just don't pass.

He is wrong.

CCNA is a prerequisite for CCNP regardless if you take classroom
training or just schedule the exams at Pearson VUE.  You will not
receive a CCNP certificate without first having a valid CCNA.  I suppose
you could take them all at once if you want to do so.

See http://www.cisco.com/go/ccnp

See the line "CCNP Prerequisites".

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net