[c-nsp] 12.2(33)SXH - modular not reading DOM on XENPAK

Marian Ďurkovič md at bts.sk
Mon Sep 10 03:18:47 EDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:03:02AM +0200, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
> :-> "mack" == mack  <mack at exchange.alphared.com> writes:
>
>     > Has anyone had problems with the modular version not
>     > reading DOM data on XENPAKs? We are doing a lab test
>     > in conjunction with another company and ran into this
>     > problem. 12.2(18)SFX10 reads the data.
>
> Same thing when going SRA3->SRA4. I was told by my cisco tech support
> that they're introducing a version check on the xenpaks so that it
> shows values only for those modules that they have tested and
> calibrated.

The primary driver for these checks seems to be CSCsj45951, but it
seems that this bug wasn't properly investigated and is most probably
not valid.

This bug believes that reading DOM info from an Intel XENPAK-SR might
cause link flaps due to the fact, that this XENPAK is not "supported"
for DOM by IOS. This is completely misleading, reading DOM is nothing
else that reading 256 bytes of data from XENPAK's address 0xA000
and it's the same for all XENPAKs. All this is specified in XENPAK MSA,
so there's nothing to be specifically "supported" for the SR version.

Moreover, we have exactly the same unit in our network and it works fine
for almost 2 years. AFAIK other networks are also sucessfully using
these units with DOM.

So if you have an Intel XENPAK-SR in your network, could you please share
your experience - i.e. if you are able to read DOM from it in -SXF images
and if you ever seen any link flaps when doing so?

	Thanks & kind regards,

		M.

----
----   Marian Ďurkovič                       network  manager         ----