[c-nsp] changing from ospf to eigrp

Whisper whisper555 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 21:55:56 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Robert J. Huey <rhuey at anzus.com> wrote:

> Yes....    But keep in mind that EIGRP carries with it an administrative
> distance of only '5' whereas OSPF is at 110.    You might consider moving
> the adminstrative distance for EIGRP to something above OSPF across
> your network until everyhting is in both routing processes. Then kill off
> OSFP and move AD back to it's default values.
>
> rgds,
>    --r

EIGRP Summary Routes have an admin distance of 5 and have to be configured
manually on a per interface basis
Normal EIGRP Routes have an admin distance of 90
OSPF is admin distance is 110

My questions when doing this doing this would be.

1. How complicated is the network?
2. What better, rolling EIGRP in from the edges to the core, or out from the
core to the edges?

The beauty of moving from OSPF TO EIGRP is, in theory at least, the EIGRP
Routes will be prefered over the OSPF Routes when the administrative
distance is the deciding factor.

Cheers