[c-nsp] changing from ospf to eigrp

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Apr 11 09:12:13 EDT 2008

> I always assumed that the 3750/3560 didn't do IS-IS because Cisco didnt'
> want to engineer CLNS support into the ASICs used in them?

The IS-IS support has nothing to do with the ASICs, both IS-IS and OSPF
are done in software (the hardware just needs a suitable filter to punt
the interesting packets to up to the processor).

> Seems a bit odd to me, even more so that I guess in the next few years
> we'll have significantly more people using IS-IS to make IPv6 nicer to
> deal with?

Business reasons - Cisco knows they can get away with charging more for
equipment which can switch packets in hardware and run IS-IS, so they do.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no