[c-nsp] OT: Smart Patch Panel Recommendations

Ramcharan, Vijay A vijay.ramcharan at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Apr 11 09:38:12 EDT 2008

We are in the fortunate/unfortunate (depending on how you look at it)
position of building a new datacenter in TX to replicate functionality
of a year-old dc in CA. We have used traditional cabling methods in all
our builds so far. However for this build we are investigating the use
of "smart" patch panels. Various vendors such as Panduit, Systimax,
Siemon etc offer these. The build would probably accommodate up to 1000
patch panel ports. As an aside, we are going with a pair of Nexus 7k
units for this build as well as the new ASA 5580 platform.

What are your opinions or real world experience with using any of these
so-called "smart" patch panel systems?

Thanks

Vijay Ramcharan