[c-nsp] 2801 bandwidth limiting

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Fri Apr 25 10:33:45 EDT 2008

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned using a simple Committed Access
Rate (CAR).  It may not be the new hotness but it's simple, it works and
works just about everywhere.

interface Vlan XYZ
  rate-limit input 10000000 xxxx yyyy conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop
  rate-limit output 10000000 xxxx yyyy conform-action transmit
exceed-action drop

I never can remember the formula for burst-normal and burst-max and I
can't check it easily since I'm using a phone.  That may work for you
though.  CAR is simple and works but it's not as elegant or feature-rich
as its more complicated class-based kin.

Justin