[c-nsp] 6500 vs Packeteer

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Wed Feb 20 02:24:10 EST 2008

Hi,

We actually recently made the decision to put down Cisco SCE 2020 for
traffic shaping purposes.  Their throughput is far higher than the
packeteers and their layer 7 classification was found to be adequate.
These boxes ship with a tyco branded optical bypass unit that causes a
bypass of the shaper should the shaper fail, and while this removes the
shaping being done it does prevent the single point of failure referred
to.  I must however warn anyone considering this device, their setup is
*FAR* more complex than that of a packeteer, and while it works
beautifully once its installed and modifying configurations etc is
relatively easy once you have the base done, getting the thing to that
point was nothing short of a nightmare.

Thanks

Andrew Alston
TENET - Chief Technology Officer