[c-nsp] 6500 vs Packeteer

hjan hjan at libero.it
Wed Feb 20 05:48:09 EST 2008

Murphy, William ha scritto:
> Anyone have any input on the pros & cons of 6500 QoS vs Packeteer or
> other similar appliance?  Specifically I am referring to Sup720-3CXL QoS
> capabilities...

I thought there was many difference between them.
On cisco SUP720 you can do UBRL but this is limited to L3,
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd803e5017.html

>Basically my concern is having an appliance as single
> point of failure.  As I increase redundancy in the network
> infrastructure it would be nice if I can achieve desired
> QoS/rate-limiting using the switches themselves without additional gear.

Traffic shaper / policer often has optical bypass by default or as option.
I use Allot and I'm happy.

Regards,
Gianluca