[c-nsp] 6500 vs Packeteer

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Feb 20 09:26:37 EST 2008

hjan wrote:
>> Basically my concern is having an appliance as single
>> point of failure.  As I increase redundancy in the network
>> infrastructure it would be nice if I can achieve desired
>> QoS/rate-limiting using the switches themselves without additional gear.
>
> Traffic shaper / policer often has optical bypass by default or as option.
> I use Allot and I'm happy.

I had a PacketShaper 4545 about 5 years ago.  It was a nice piece of
equipment.  It had an internal mechanism to fail the Ethernet interfaces
as a closed circuit if the device was rebooted or if it lost power.  Ie,
a failure would cause a relay to close, disconnecting the internal
network guts of the PacketShaper from the copper interfaces and linking
the in and out interfaces together to act as a piece of wire; it would
not interrupt the flow of traffic if it failed.  Now if you had to
remove the device from service to replace it with a RMA unit then of
course you'd have to unplug it and disrupt traffic.  Then again if your
network is well-built then losing any single link (short of a link to an
upstream SP) shouldn't be a problem for you.  I haven't gotten to work
with any of Packeteer's units with fiber interfaces but I imagine they
support optical bypass units like the SCEs do.

I really liked the PacketShapers.  They were slick.  I own a pair of
SCEs right now that I'm trying to get online.  I hear they are pretty
nice too, but not as turnkey.

Justin