[c-nsp] 6500 vs Packeteer

nick.nauwelaerts at thomson.com nick.nauwelaerts at thomson.com
Wed Feb 20 09:45:58 EST 2008

The packeteers I worked with all came with nics that went into bypass
when the unit failed, I'm guessing with some kind of watchdog running on
'em. I am however still waiting to see the first one fail of the 3 units
I'm running.
As for the QoS, it depends on what you need. If you just need policing
the sup720 might do fine, however if you want shaping or decent
visibility then a packeteer would be more up to it. I'm not one for
layer7 inspection, so no experience on that.

On the side, the additional network cards you can order for packeteers
are the first PCBs I've seen with both intel & amd chips on them.

// nick