[c-nsp] Top 10 Network Engineering Tools

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Jan 28 17:20:54 EST 2008

I 2nd RANCID.  A properly configured RANCID install is indispensable.

A multi-homed sniffing box (or probe) connected to key points in the
network.  I have 2 Linux boxes connected to both core routers in our
main POPs, each has multiple Ethernet connections for no purpose other
than sniffing.  I can't live without my tcpdump.

I also 2nd Cacti/MRTG/RRDTool and Nagios.

Syslog.  Where would we be without a working syslog daemon.

Your SSH client of choice.  For me I can't do without SecureCRT.
Everything else pales in comparison to the features of SecureCRT in my
book.  A good SSH client is like a good keyboard.  You fumble around in
a drunken stupor without the tool that you're used to.

A reliable IP subnet calculator.  It never hurts to doublecheck your
work before you make a bone-headed mistake on a mask.

A good command line.  GUIs are great but CLIs are tops.

Beef jerky.

A working mail client with ready access to my friends on C-NSP.

Justin