[c-nsp] 1800 Series QOS Problems

Rupert Finnigan rupert.finnigan at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 3 04:32:23 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of a hard time getting the QOS result I want on a 1800
router. I'm running VoIP trunks between digital PBX systems, but can't get
the priority treatment that I want.

The setup involves a 1801 router at one end on a ADSL connection, and a 2821
router at the other on a SDSL connection. I'm only really worried about the
1801 at the moment.

This is what I've done so far:

Applied a policy map to the inbound VLAN interface, to mark the RTP packets
as EF and the rest as AF43. This works fine.
Apply "qos pre-classify" on the mGRE Tun Interface to carry the markings
over to the encrypted packets.
Applied a policy map to the outbound ATM interface to priority queue the EF
packets, with a max of 25% bandwidth, and fair-queue the rest.

I'm not seeing the packet count increasing on "show policy-map interface atm
0" as I would expect, which suggests it's not working as it should be.
However, if I apply the last policy-map to the dialer interface, it does
increase as expected - but I'm not seeing any evidence that it's actually
prioritising the VoIP packets.

I'm a bit stumped now, and so any help would be greatly received!

Thanks,

Rupert