[c-nsp] SPAN issue Between Extreme and Cisco (3560 G) Switch

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Tue Jul 8 03:42:14 EDT 2008

Hi,

> N.B.: 1.	We have opened a Level 3 severity TAC request, and expecting
> 	formal reply from cisco.

i'm not TAC & don't take what i say as a "formal" reply.  TAC will
presumably also be getting back to you.

> The problem is: we are not able to monitor Extreme switches'
> Port traffic from Cisco 3560 G; even though we can monitor/analyze
> it from 2950/4506 with same configuration at Extreme switch and
> similar configuration at Cisco End!!
>
> My asking is: is there any minor detail that we are missing, in SPAN
> [Switched Port Analyzer] for 3560 G?

there are a few things that i can think might be a possible cause:

1. per
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swspan.html
make sure the destination SPAN port doesn't belong tin a SPAN source VLAN.
it isn't clear if you're running a .1q trunk between the switches or if
the source is an 'access' port.

2. you've explicitly configured some jumbo frames on both switches. are
you attempting to SPAN frames >1524 bytes on a 10/100 interface?

cheers,

lincoln.