[c-nsp] bgp router

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 4 12:08:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, Rossella Mariotti-Jones wrote:

> Hello all, we're looking to buy a router on which to run BGP that can
> take full BGP routes, I know all Cisco routers (1800 up) with Advanced
> IP services IOS will do BGP and I've been told that if we max out the
> memory we'll be fine with any router. We're going to need some ports (up
> to 24) in this router. We're looking at a 7604 with sup720-3b and 1gb of
> memory, a 2821 or 2851 with an nme and 1gb of memory, or another
> possibility is the ASR platform, but I haven't looked into this well
> yet. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

7600 and 2800 series are very different beasts.  Figure out what sort of
throughput/backplane capacity you need and that should point you towards
the apropriate platform.  If you go 7600, don't buy less than the
sup720-3bxl.  The older sup720-3b, regardless of how much RAM you put on
it, won't properly handle full routes.