[c-nsp] 7200s (VXRs and not) and MPLS capabilities

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Thu Jun 12 04:59:12 EDT 2008

The 7200s non vxr will do mpls just fine.
I ran some in the past with npe 225s for mpls L3 VPNs with no problem.
Having said that I would spend the extra money and get a vxr chassis, especially if you are going to be doing VoIP.
You can still go with an older NPE to save money but you will have protection twords the future, by just changing the NPE.
The 7200 non vxr supports up to the NPE 225, 300s will work with some older ios code  even if it is a "non supported" configuration.
Newer ios trains will not boot with anything bigger than a 225.
If you do need full routes you have to go with the npe 400 that supports 512M of ram anything prior maxes out at 256M.

Brian