[c-nsp] Need some help troubleshooting l2tpv3 tunnel

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Fri Jun 13 11:42:21 EDT 2008

Although it may work with an interface address, you are really supposed
to create a loopback interface for the L2TPv3 tunnels, and point to the
other side loopback address in your xconnect statements.  You would also
obviously need a route to the other end loopback addresses, either using
a dynamic protocol or just via a static route.  Also, on the remote side
you have an address on the main interface, and then an xconnect on a
sub-interface.  I'm not sure that is a valid configuration.  The L2TPv3
tunnels I've used have one physical interface out of which the L2TPv3
encapsulated packets travel to the remote destination, and another
physical interface on which there are multiple (50+) subinterfaces
(encaps dot1q xxx) with xconnects on them, plus a sub-interface with an
assigned IP address (not on the main interface, and not an xconnect).

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697