[c-nsp] Peoples experiences with the 3825

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Thu Jun 26 09:30:13 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback on the 3825.

Im at a phase of planning a new network which will consist of approx
29 tower sites in a rural part of Australia.

Im looking at the possibility of sticking 3825's in some strategic
locations to aggregate customer sessions and ship them off to some
LNS's back in the CBD of the nearest capital city. The core of this
network will be built around a ring of 155mbit microwave radios, and
we'll be trunking multiple towers back to said strategic locations for
termination/aggregation.

Theres likely to be a couple of thousand people in total hanging off
the network, but Im wondering if the 3825 would be up to this task.
They seem like relatively beasty boxes.

On average a single router would be handling several hundred sessions
(PPPoE aggregation into L2TP tunnels back to the LNSs), and would need
to be able to handle as much of 155mbit as possible due to the ring
configuration, so if a link dies somewhere I need to be sure that a
single router will handle all of the traffic.

What are peoples experiences with aggregating PPPoE and routing
traffic? How much of each have you managed to get onto a single box
before running out of CPU/RAM? Anything I should be careful about if
chosing this platform?

If the 3825 is no good I'll probably look at deploying 7201's, they
should handle what Im looking for, but the 3825 has the advantage of
NM-xESWs, removing a device from each site. :-)

Cheers,
Tom