[c-nsp] Sup32 TCAM limit

Julio Arruda jarruda-cnsp at jarruda.com
Thu Jun 26 09:40:22 EDT 2008

Phil Bedard wrote:
> Like you said, the limit is around 250k routes.  The box will through a
> FIB EXCEPTION when it reaches that limit.  It will remove the
> shortest-match prefixes from the TCAM and install a default route with a
> PUNT adjacency, which punts traffic to the MSFC.  You don't really want
> to software switch anything through the SUP32...

'If is not supported in hardware is not supported' :-), correct ?

> I don't know anyone that uses the SUP32 to carry a full Internet table.

A friend of mine last year found their 3B suffering from this 'disease' :-)
They went into their long process to buy the upgrades, and they took
some time it seems, during that period, I mentioned to him the threads
here, and ways to squeeze most of their 3Bs(they had the default config,
I think reserving MPLS and etc tcam entries), but was really not
something I would have recommended :-)