[c-nsp] 3750 etherchannel only using 1 port

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Wed May 7 11:32:29 EDT 2008

Re Paul,

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:55:47AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> The src-dst-ip works on any switch at any level.  I use it on 2960

Yep, I trust it now ;)

> switches 3550, 3750, 6509, etc.  It works on everything but my 3750 and
> i'm not even doing cross stack etherchannel on the 3750 so I don't know
> what is up with it.

Even though the channel is not X-stack, is this a single 3750 or is it
stacked? I've seen 3750 stacks do strange things before (though that was
in the L3 department), and it has added complexity (the Etherchannel
implementation must have provisions for X-stack operation on this
platform, and if the bug is in that code, I'll not see it on the
similar-but-not-quite-unlike boxes with the ripped out stacking ASICs).

>   I can't play around with it too much since It's in
> operation and I wasn't expecting it to break in 12.2.44SE1 :/

At least it's not generally broken in 12.2(44)SE1, but I have no 3750
to verify whether it is generic to that *exact* hardware.

> gi1/0/1
>   30 second input rate 25329000 bits/sec, 9503 packets/sec
>   30 second output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
>
> gi1/0/2
>   30 second input rate 14640000 bits/sec, 3969 packets/sec
>   30 second output rate 23801000 bits/sec, 5139 packets/sec
>
> See what I mean??

Clearly. Something is hosed.

Does "test etherchannel load-balance" always resolve to Gi1/0/2 or is
it actually computing a distribution? And is there really no traffic
(verified at the other end) or maybe just the "good" old Cisco Counter
Fun in action?

> It's router to router so MAC won't work and there are
> thousands and thousands of ip addresses going through this so the
> src-dst-ip should work no problem, but it doesn't. :/

Indeed.

> I don't get it.. I've tried changing it to dst-ip, src-ip, even mac and
> still no luck.
> I've never seen etherchannel not work before like this.  A 2960 switch
> plugged into the same device works with src-dst-ip no problem.

Did you try to reload the box if at all possible? Wouldn't be the first
time I see something like this clear up by a power cycle, especially in
a stacking setup. Sad but true.

BTW, if it *is* a stack, have you tried actually *making* the channel
X-stack? Maybe that triggers something...

Andre.
--
   Real men don't make backups of their mail. They just send it out
    on the Internet and let the secret services do the hard work.

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-