[c-nsp] Discussion list for RADIUS?

Justin C. Darby jcdarby at usgs.gov
Fri May 23 23:18:35 EDT 2008

As far as I am aware (from years of working at ISP's), neither will a
RADIUS server send nor most NAS devices ever check the status of any
attribute post login (I don't even think they can, but it's been a
long time since I've read the RFC's). Meaning, if you change the
session timeout, it wont apply to any active sessions. The most that
ever happens after authentication is radius accounting messages, which
the NAS may send when a users session ends, or really whenever it
wants (e.g. if it's resetting counters because they've exceeded the
maximum storage size of the radius accounting attribute, or on some
devices when you reset the interface counters it sends an accounting
message with the old counter statistics before doing so).

The only way to guarantee the policy change is made is to disconnect
the user and force them to re-authenticate. In our case, we had this
issue come up when DSL users changed bandwidth plans, and we had to
disconnect them after making a change to that attribute.

Justin