[c-nsp] Using generic Compact Flash in Cisco Routers...

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 08:15:38 EDT 2008

My recent experience with a selection of SUP720-3B and VS-S720-10G-3C
suggest it is hit-n-miss.

Some CF that worked in all of the VS-S720s would not work in the SUP720s. My
investigation suggested it is down to the Manufacturer ID burned on the CF.
If the SUP recognizes that ID as a valid CF, you are good to go. If not the
card won't even be recognized.

I have had mixed success with Kingston - old cards work fine, newer cards
have a "Kingston" ID which the SUP720 doesn't recognise. Generic cards seem
to work, as they usually program some known ID, like Toshiba. So buy a bunch
and see what works.

Tim:>