[c-nsp] GSS and ACE

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Thu Apr 23 00:37:04 EDT 2009

At 09:45 AM 22-04-09 -0500, Nick Griffin wrote:
>So say I had 2 datacenter locations geographically disperse and I'm not
>running BGP. I have similar web and smtp servers at each locations. I'm not
>so much concerned that traffic gets load balanced to a cluster of servers
>when traffic enters a particular data center (which is an ACE application),
>instead I'm concerned about D/R. Say I lose DataCenter 1, I want some DNS
>magic to take place to say that mail.mydomain.com has moved from 10.1.1.5 to
>10.1.2.5 at Data Center 2. Does that make sense?

In addition to the GSS solutions which has been discussed here, there are
outsourced solutions that essentially do the same thing.

Neustar (used to be UltraDNS):
http://www.ultradns.com/solutions/traffic.html
[See Sitebacker]

Level3:
http://www.level3.com/brochures/e_brochures/ITM_brochure_C.pdf
[ITM service]

Akamai:
http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/products/gtm.html
[GTM service]

Each has different bells and whistles as well as different pricing based on
DNS load, but in general, the cost of a single GSS should provide you with
their service for at least a year.  The benefits are you don't have to
manage the GSS and the service is outsourced to those who maintain 10-20
globally disparate DNS servers and who hopefully know how to run the
service in a bullet-proof manner.

Regards,
Hank