[c-nsp] show dsl int atm 0

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Mon Feb 2 03:39:05 EST 2009

In my opinion and based on my short experience with ADSL on Cisco routers, the only values that are relevant for me are:

Noise Margin: which represents, as the name says it, how far is your signal from the noise, the higher the better, the lowest recommended value would be around 20%.

Attenuation: the lower the better, anything below 10-15 dB, the highest this value is it means there may be problems in the hard line, or perhaps you're too far from the DSLAM.

These values are of course correlated to the others (Capacity, Output power) everything is a function of line quality, physically talking. The errors may be related to a poor quality.
Some workarounds can be setting the DSL mode to some specific mode instead of automatic, but you should know what is the best, you may talk with your provider and ask about this, when too far from the DSLAM or the line quality is poor, lowering the speed of the link may help improve those values too.
As I said, this is only "field" knowledge, is not based on any "scientific" facts, just mere experience.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about something, I'd be glad to learn some more about this
Hope this helps
Ziv