[c-nsp] 7301 NPE-G1 gigabit overruns

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Feb 11 09:47:54 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 04:26:07PM +0200, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
> We had a similar case with microbursts and lots of small packets and
> after moving to NPE-G2, we're very happy with it.
> Traffic goes up, CPU is blocked at 75%, still no sign of drops.

Good to know. It all depends on the load.

The direction forward is hw based forwarding for gige line rate
traffic (ASR1000, 76xx, etc..)

> Regarding the pause frames, i'm too very confused about them being
> supported.
> http://markmail.org/message/y7bjuudmbrfofp6z

I've done some research and there appears to be some issues on
how the MAC chip can account for the pause frames sent/received
although it does appear to support flow control.

But my *opinion* on that is flow control is a wasted effort becaus
you can't quantify the burst and therefore you just buffer on the
other side and risk drops there.

Rodney