[c-nsp] GRE on Cat-4948 switch

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Jan 14 14:24:25 EST 2009

Ian MacKinnon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anybody have any idea the impact of running multiple GRE tunnels on
> a 4948 switch?
>
> I can see that it will be processed by software rather than hardware,
> but just how much of a problem is this likely to be?
>
> I am only talking about a max of 100M of GRE traffic, amongst a couple
> of Gig of total traffic.

I think one of the actual cisco.com guys would have to speak up to
answer this question properly with figures on CPU speed, processing
times, etc.  I would say with an off-the-cuff figure is that process
switching 100M would swamp most CPUs that Cisco has on the market.  I'm
fairly confident that our Sup720-3BXLs wouldn't take kindly to it.  The
experts would probably have a better answer for you though.

Justin