[c-nsp] Policing on Catalyst 4948, leaky-bucket, burst, and memory

Rick Ernst rick at woofpaws.com
Tue Jul 21 13:29:34 EDT 2009

As a sanity-check for observed behavior; the burst buffer in a policing
policy does not actually consume memory?

For testing/eval I had a 750Mbs policy with a 19MB burst and there was no
change to reported system memory.  I'm assuming that the burst size is just
added to an internal formula that just uses interface counters to determine
conform/drop action?

What is the impact/affect of making the burst buffer too small/big?

Thanks,

-----
policy-map BW_750M
 class class-default
    police 750 mbps 18.75 mbyte conform-action transmit exceed-action drop