[c-nsp] Quick question regarding trunking and routing.

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Mar 13 08:34:58 EDT 2009

We have a 3550 which connects to two 6500s.

The 3550 has some L3 vlans on it, but we also need to trunk a few of the ports up to the 6500s.

I've been banging my head because I cannot figure out how to make the two uplink ports on the 3550 both trunk and route.

What I mean is, currently the ports have ip addresses assigned directly to them (/30s).

I have to remove the IP to enable trunking, but then the L3 VLANs that originate directly on the 3550 no longer function.

I'm thinking there has to be some way to use uplink ports for both trunking and routing but I just can't seem to figure it out.

I realize that the "normal" network topology would be to just create all the vlans on the 6500s and just trunk everything from the 3550 to the 6500s but for legacy purposes that isn't really an option.

Any advice would be great.

thanks,
-Drew