[c-nsp] 15km optics

Marcus.Gerdon Marcus.Gerdon at versatel.de
Fri Mar 13 12:23:36 EDT 2009

Ray,

best check the transmission power and sensibility of the SFP (just look it up at Cisco's site) against the attenuation of the fibers (both directions).

Longest link I had working were 14.6 km according OTDR with a LX GBIC and up to 12 km occur quite some time, so there's the possibility this will still work with LH-SM. Of course nearly fully utilizing the power budget raises the risk of fiber caused connection outage as a bend in a patch can become the .5 dB to much attenuation.

Attenuated ZX is the saver one, so maybe converting 1310 to 1550 in the CO might be an option.

regards,

Marcus