[c-nsp] PPPoEoQinQ works but PPPoE o VLAN doesn't on 7600

Rinse Kloek rinse.kloek at isp.solcon.nl
Fri Mar 13 16:13:32 EDT 2009

Hello,

I try to do PPPoE terminating of sessions on a 7600-RSP7203C with
WS-X6724-SFP Lan cards (12.2(33)SRC).  I have a trunk that carries VLAN
710 and is connected to Gi1/1:
The following config with pppoe enabled on the physical interface,
doesn't work. The CPU doesn't process the PPPoE packets.

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
description "Trunk with VLAN 710 for PPPoE"
no ip address
vlan-id dot1q 710
 pppoe enable group global
 exit-vlan-config
!
!

However, when I do dot1q tunneling, PPPoE packets get processed:

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
description "Trunk with VLAN 710 for PPPoE"
switchport
switchport access vlan 720
switchport mode dot1q-tunnel
!

interface vlan 720
no ip address
vlan-id dot1q 710
 pppoe enable group global
 exit-vlan-config
!
!

What do I miss. Do the Cisco WS-X67xx LAN cards discard PPPoE packets
and only process them when doing dot1q tunneling ?

Rinse Kloek