[c-nsp] Cat7600/Sup720 and IPv4 vs IPv6 performance

Lukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri May 8 03:54:40 EDT 2009

On 2009-05-08 09:12, Gert Doering wrote:

> On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 12:24:58AM +0200, ?ukasz Bromirski wrote:
>> If you're looking for edge BGP peering router, you should look at
>> ASR 1k series, not 6500 which is positioned as a switch for enterprises.
> The 6500/Sup720-3BXL combo will do the job reasonably well :-)

Sure, of course 48Mpps with DFC per slot (yeah, we know that) is not
reachable for ASR1k, but given the scalability of FIB and NetFlow
of the ESPs in ASR, I'd position ASR as edge router.

 > (and it's not actually "positioned as a switch for enterprises").

Well, there's a lot of positioning regarding the 6500/7600 split and
it doesn't make sense to argue, but it's summarized on the first page
of the 6500 CCO site:

"With industry-leading services and performance, the Cisco Catalyst
  6500 Series Switch is Cisco’s flagship switching solution. It
  delivers the most comprehensive feature sets for core, distribution,
  wiring closet, data center, enterprise WAN routing, and Metro-Ethernet
  deployments."

For the ME deployments you'd actually use ME-series, for WAN routing
it's of course capable with support of SIPs, old and new VPN service
modules and recent extensions to BFD that made it to 12.2(33)SXI.
But the BU is already focused on adding services, not extending routing
capabilities.

--
"Don't expect me to cry for all the     |               Łukasz Bromirski
  reasons you had to die" -- Kurt Cobain |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net