[c-nsp] SUP720 IDB Limit

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun May 10 09:49:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 10:47:30PM -0400, Stephen Kratzer wrote:
> Not doing anything too special. L2TP, VPDN, PPPoE, OSPF, netflow. No
> per-session shaping or policing. Does the 7600 family lack anything that
> the 7200 series has?

The 7600 is incredibly fast and rock-solid *if* the feature you want can
be done by its hardware.  Some things will fall back to slow path (CPU)
(which, from your list, would be L2TP, VPDN, PPPoE), others will just not
be possible at all on "LAN" hardware (distinct VLAN space per port, VPLS,
MAC accounting).

Basic 6500/7600s are ethernet switch with extra brains - fast, but with
some restrictions.  If you add the incredibly expensive ES line cards,
more features will be possible (VPLS, better QoS), but at a cost, obviously.

We like the 6500s, even if we have bit by the stupid-BU-bullshit (read
the archives).  But we are well aware of its limitations.

So: if you are going to use the box for VPDN stuff, go for something
else (7201 or ASR1k).  If you want something that will just forward
packets, but not do layers and layers of fancy encapsulation stuff, go
for the 6500/7600.  Spec out what you need, and have your Cisco reseller
sign(!) that these requirements are met by whatever box they are selling
you.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de