[c-nsp] [SPAM?] Certification Ethics

Steve McCrory SteveMc at netservicesplc.com
Tue May 12 03:07:19 EDT 2009

>From my experience there are three groups of people when it comes to
passing Cisco Exams:

* People who only use TestKeys or equivalents (TestKing, Pass4Sure etc)
to study for the exams. These people may look good in terms of having a
wide range of qualifications but they are soon found out, often during
an interview process. I have met numerous people of this ilk in the
industry and, to a man, they don't know jack!!!

* People who don't use TestKeys or equivalents to study for an exam. I
would say that these people are in the minority and often require more
than 1 attempt to pass an exam because they are not prepared for
ambiguity of Cisco's questions

* People who study the material well and use TestKeys or equivalents to
ensure that they pass. I, and many others, fall into this category and I
would say this accounts for the majority of people in my experience. If
I'm going for an interview, I can bet that the guy before me and the guy
after will have used these aids so if that helps me get my foot in the
door by making sure I'm as certified as I can be then I'll do it. What
will hopefully separate me from the rest is the attention to detail I
apply when I'm studying and the knowledge that I have acquired from
on-the-job experience and from brushing up on all areas of networking,
not just the ones required to study for an exam.

Unfortunately, at this time it is very easy for someone with no Cisco
knowledge or experience to pass a Cisco exam. At the end of the day it
does come down to a moral choice. However, if you know the material and
have spent 100+ hours studying then I would not consider using one of
these aids cheating. Your extensive knowledge will shine through in an
interview or on the job and that is far more important that having a
piece of paper with pass marks on it.

The only exception to all of the above is the practical element of the
CCIE but even that does not guarantee greatness. Our last boss was a
CCIE and he knew less than the guys in the NOC!!! What is important is
that YOU know the material and YOU have the knowledge to succeed. If you
can't beat them, join them.

Steven

Steven McCrory

Senior Network Engineer