[c-nsp] network rebuild questions

Bill Desjardins bill at ethernext.com
Sat Oct 31 15:22:53 EDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> Sounds as if your network hasn't been seriously attacked, either directly or
> as a result of collateral damage - yet.

Its been attacked, but luckily never enough to tear it down (knock
knock..:). I have lots of acl's on the current sup1's on my provider
interfaces and I have most of the control over the entire network, so
maybe that has helped or maybe not. probably mostly luck, but not all
of it.

> How do you characterize and classify your network traffic, without NetFlow?
>  RMON probes and taps, or somesuch?

plain and simple, I dont. 99% of my traffic is fixed src-destination
business clients with little generic hosting. lots of clueful
customers as well. as for internal attacks, I havent had any from my
small client base which I work with very closely and provide
management services to as well.

Also, no netflow, no uRPF, no RMON, etc...  would they be nice, sure,
but not having them has not caused any problems. but thats just for my
business. ymmv.

any comments on my actual questions besides junk my business? :) I
understand and respect your opinion but the equipment is what I have
and thats what I am looking for help with.

Bill