[c-nsp] CALEA was Re: OT - Dark Fiber

Scott Granados gsgranados at comcast.net
Fri Sep 4 16:29:16 EDT 2009

What about Unlawful requests?  For example, suppose someone went to oh say
ATT with out a Warrent and demanded they tap say most phones on their
network?  Or let's say that someone from an alphabet soup organization taps
you on the shoulder and demands access to your traffic for some sort of
automated filtering?  Thankfully I don't work in an environment where this
would ever come up but this was more of a thought experiment. I've worked in
a few provider networks where law enforcement requests have come up but the
requests always made sense along with the proper paper work accompanying
them and honestly I've never first hand observed the type of wide scale
monitoring that's been reported but the idea of the thing gives me the
shivers. I'm sorry if this is off topic I'll drop the thread if it is but
since CALEA was mentioned I was really curious why people bought in to it in
the first place.