[c-nsp] CALEA was Re: OT - Dark Fiber

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Sep 4 16:43:40 EDT 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Scott Granados wrote:

> What about Unlawful requests?

	You need not comply, and if you do, you could be breaking the law.

>  For example, suppose someone went to oh say ATT with out a Warrent
> and demanded they tap say most phones on their network?

	NSL is the case where someone could ask for something, but wiretaps
are something else. NSL is typically "who is the subscriber".

>  Or let's say that someone from an alphabet soup organization taps
> you on the shoulder and demands access to your traffic for some sort
> of automated filtering?

	I know a few of those types and they have never asked for or even
talked around that sort of thing.

>  Thankfully I don't work in an environment where this would ever
> come up but this was more of a thought experiment. I've worked in a
> few provider networks where law enforcement requests have come up
> but the requests always made sense along with the proper paper work
> accompanying them and honestly I've never first hand observed the
> type of wide scale monitoring that's been reported but the idea of
> the thing gives me the shivers. I'm sorry if this is off topic I'll
> drop the thread if it is but since CALEA was mentioned I was really
> curious why people bought in to it in the first place.

	Calea was originally to cover the changeover of pstn to digital
switches so they can track drug dealers, et al. While it also applies
to "broadband" networks, Its not something you are likely to see. You
can talk to the (i swear they are nice) CALEA Implementation unit
about what you need. They are nice guys and there is no penalty for
non-compliance unless you get a lawful request and are unable to
comply. Then the FCC gets involved and you could be fined.

	Your best bet is to actually be social with your local FBI, Secret
Service & Police. Tell them who you are, what you do, and when
something comes up it wont seem like jackboot thugs :).

	Websites/things to google: askcalea.net, infragard.net

- Jared